Re: Cooling upgrades on a TR4

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cooling upgrades on a TR4
From: glite <glite@eos.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:13:27 -0400
eddy-ulm@juno.com wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I'm looking for tips  and clues in upgrading the cooling system on my
> TR4. My car heats up quickly in traffic and I want to minimize the
> problem.
snip
>  Also,  I'm considering the addition of an  electric fan. Which kind to
> get?   Has anyone out there installed one on their car? If so is it a
> straight forward operation or will I have to fabricate mountings?

While not a TR4, we have a TR3 that would overheat in January! Took the
"Bob Shaller" route - plugged the bypass hose - had a Molline core
replace the orginal Triumph radiator core, replaced the fan with an
electric (mounted with two muffler clamps to the cross bar in the engine
bay) and added an oil cooler.

Never had an overheating problem again.  While it was early 1990 when we
did this, total cost was less than $400.00 and probably most of the
above could be done on the 4.

george leicht, cincinnati, ohio
'61 TR3 '73 TR6