aluminium insulation

To: dstauffa@csc.com, owner-triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: aluminium insulation
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:17:34 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I bought some of this stuff at Payless Cashways.  Cost was $18 for a
2' x 25' roll.  The company that makes it is Reflectix Inc.  their
toll free number is 800-879-3645.  I haven't used the stuff yet.
Hopefully I'll get it installed in a few weeks.

> Bill,
>
> You wrote:
> What's the brand name of this stuff? Wheredya get it? How thick is
> it? I just bought a huge roll of Johns Manville Comfort Therm
> insulation for my Herald. It's standard yellow fibreglass batting
> completely enclosed in plastic. Only cost $10, so I'll gladly eat it
> in favor of the aluminum foil stuff.
>
> I purchased this at my local building suppy outlet.  Here in San
> Diego it was Dixieline, but Home Depot or Menards (?) for
> Midwesterners should supply it.  It was in bulk form, so I don' t
> have a brand name.  Sometimes you see it for sale in rolls at auto
> swap meets.  Hot rodders use it a lot. The stuff is composed of
> about a 1/4 inch thick layer of plastic bubble wrap sandwiched
> between two sheets of relfective aluminium.  The price is dear but
> is well worth it.
>
> One word of caution.  I covered all the interior areas that were
> part of the firewall.  When reinstalling the pedal box, I had some
> difficulty getting the bolts started.  (I was off by a 1/4 in the x
> and y axis)  Once started I was able to tighten the box back into
> position.  Don't worry about pre-cutting holes for all the cables
> coming through the firewall into the interior.  Just install the
> insulation first.  After the stuff was secure, I used an awl to
> punch a hole through the insulation and reamed it out a little with
> a scissors.  All the cables easily slipped through the insulation
> (The only exception was for the main wiring harness and the opening
> for the clutch and brake master cylinders)
>
> Good luck.  I hope you find this stuff.
>
> Dave,
> San Diego, Ca
> 1970 TR6 CP51649

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Waiting for garage space to start teardown)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Suspension just about ready to install)