RE: Bloody brakes (long and pitiful)

To: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Bloody brakes (long and pitiful)
From: "Collins, Jack L. MAJ" <CollinsJL@usfk.korea.army.mil>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:11:11 +0900
I'm not sure on TR7's but on some of the other cars I've owned (Ford,
Chrysler, mostly) with dual brake circuits, bleeding the brakes by pumping
the pedal was not always effective.

The distribution/proportioning valve sometimes senses the air as a leak and
moves to shut off that circuit.  You can pump aggressively and get some
fluid to move, but the valve does what it's designed to do and prevents you
from properly bleeding the circuit.  Hence, the slow pump gets you nothing,
the fast and furious pumping gets you something.  Also, the fast and furious
method sometimes induces yet more air into the master cylinder on the
backstroke.  And the same thing could potential happen if a wheel cylinder
retracts too quickly.  That's one of the reasons that braking systems are
often designed to maintain 2-10 lbs/in2 of pressure in the circuit.  It's
not enough to activate the brakes, but high enough to keep out air.

On circuits like this, I've had the most success with vacuum bleeding.  I
use a MityVac hand held pump to pull the fluid from the wheel cylinders
rather than trying to push it from the master cylinder.  I try to start with
the wheel which is the farthest away from the master (on LHD cars that's
usually the right rear) and work my way forward.

I've never had a M/C give up during the bleeding process, but stranger
things have happened.