Re: KONI SHOCK ADJUSTMENT

To: Jerry <lensman@erols.com>
Subject: Re: KONI SHOCK ADJUSTMENT
From: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 23:20:16 -0400
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "triumphs-owner@autox.team.net" <triumphs-owner@Autox.Team.Net>
Jerry,
Adjustment can be made as follows:  Remove the shock from the car and
holding it vertically, place the lower eye in a vice (use wood blocks or
something to prevent damage.)  If your shock has an indentation at the top
of the dust cap and the cover has two holes at the top, then the shock is
fitted with a "bump rubber".  If so, fully extend the shock absorber and
insert a screwdriver through one of the holes.  Push the bump rubber down
and remove it.  There may also be a split plastic washer on the piston
rod.  If so, remove it as well.  Fully close the shock while, at the same
time, turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left
(counter-clockwise) until you feel that the cams of the adjusting nut
engage in the recesses of the valve assembly.  To determine its current
adjustment, keep the shock closed and slowly turn to the left, counting at
the same time, the number of half turns until it reaches its stop.  Then,
keeping the shock closed, you can adjust it by turning to the right
(clockwise) to the point at which you want to set it.  The factory setting
was two half turns.  The total range is about five half turns.  When
finished, pull the shock absorber out vertically without turning for at
least an inch or so to disengage the adjusting mechanism.  The dust cap or
piston rod can now be turned freely.  If your shock had the bump rubber and
or plastic dohickie on the rod, refit them and your done.  Adjustment
should be carried out in pairs for the same amount.

Best regards,
Ed Hamilton