Re: Bad Day of Driving

To: Rodney Orr <rodney@mindoro.com>
Subject: Re: Bad Day of Driving
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:56:31 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>, The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Rodney Orr wrote:

> Along the same train of thought, is it just me or do other lbc drivers feel
> that many other drivers (especially of Yank tanks, SUVs and 1/2 tons) don't
> 'respect' your lbc by tail gating, cutting off, and generally taking
> advantage of a smaller vehicle  - who's driver is very unlikely to put his
> car at risk by 'standing-up for his rights'?

Well, the last time I had to drive my Dad's old Yank-Tank ('81 Volare-
last of the BigUglyDodges) you notice that people do NOT cut you off, tail
gate, etc.  However, the car looks "really big" from the outside, and was
available as a cop-car, so maybe bozos think twice...?  (nah)

"Sure, hit me, ya goof... yer window tinting costs more than my car!!"

Also with the big car, you're not as "close" to everything as you are in
the LBC.  There's a mile of trunk (and back seat) behind you, a snout like
a battleship, and doors with more steel than the average I-beam beside
you.  So even if Mr. Late is tailgating you, it doesn't seem that way,
because he's still a ways back.

My Dad gave the Volare to my brother and bought a (newer) Olds Cutlass
Supreme.  This new car is slightly shorter and narrower, and you notice
it... it doesn't have 'corners' like the Dodge had, and you can't see the
trunk in the mirror.  So it sure feels like a smaller car...

I found when driving the TR4 that I had much more awareness of the road
around me.  But no matter how good I am at driving, I can't stop the
(oncoming!) fully-loaded logging truck from cutting the corner on a tough
downhill, so he can get a good run at the impending uphill...!

One of the perils of living in a temperate rainforest, I guess...