Wining with VW's

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wining with VW's
From: Chris DeStaffany <sjmeds@rockisland.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:45:12 -0700
Back about 1960, my father was an electronic engineer working in Truth or
Consequences New Mexico.  Most of the engineers that he worked with all
drove identical 1959 VW bugs.  Fequently after work, at the local watering
hole, the discussion would turn to who could drive the fastest down  two
miles on this particular back road.  Even though this went on for years and
all the bugs were identical, one fellow one every time.  When it came time
for him to transfer he was finally persuaded to tell his secret.  On days
that he thougth that a challange would be offered, he would add 10 psi to
the tires and drain out half a quart of engine oil.  That was evedently
enough to bring the bugs performance up from a stock 63 mph max to a
breathtaking 68.  I was only in second grade at the time but I remember that
this drove my dad crazy for two years trying to figure out how he did it.