Re: Triumph 4 Cylinder Crankshaft

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph 4 Cylinder Crankshaft
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 22:05:29 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Scions of the Spitfire <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Brad Kahler wrote:

> Did Triumph make a four cylinder engine that had 5 main bearings?  I
> have a crankshaft that was given to me that is marked "triumph" in
> yellow paint.  It came from a friend who closed his machine shop
> business.

Perhaps it's TR7? Otherwise, I think all the "SC" engines (Spitfire,
Herald, etc.) were 3-main bearing cranks.

> Along with that he gave me a 1300 engine along with 3
> heads.  Although 1 of the 3 heads is slightly different than the
> other 2.  The engine # is FK32903UE.  According to the VB catalog the
> FK series didn't have the UE on the end.  Apparently this motor was
> only used in 71 and 72.

No comment on the source of that information. :-) UE is a U.S.-only
suffix for the 1972 model year Spitfire 1296. And U.S. cars were pretty
much the only cars to carry the "FK" prefix on engine or commission
number, IMS. So the engine probably is a '72 U.S.-spec. engine. Can't
tell you much about the heads without part numbers or similar.

--Andy