Propshaft

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Propshaft
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 00:58:12 -0400
Got the propshaft out of my Herald. Now what do I do???

As a result of a broken diff mount, there's a fairly deep gouge all the
way around, about a foot from the diff end, from the shaft rubbing
against the handbrake fulcrum. What I'm thinking of doing is cutting the
shaft in front of the gouge and installing a splined coupling ("sliding
joint"). This gets rid of the gouge and eliminates the in-out load on
the input to the differential.

Does anybody have a spare Spitfire propshaft with a splined coupling?
Andy Mace, are there any Spits with splines that would NOT make suitable
donors?

Bill Kelly
Teaneck, NJ
'62 Herald (the patient)