clunking-second chapter

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: clunking-second chapter
From: jmike@sky.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 17:38:37 -0500 (CDT)
Downloaded my mail today and saw several referenced to bad U-joint/clunking
problem.   I thought I would run this by the list in hopes of hearing from
someone who has the same problem.

Since I have had this car (TR3), I hear a clunk when I hit a place in the road,
going from slightly higher pavement to slightly lower.  It's like when the axle
drops, or possible the wheel becomes airborne for a fraction of a second.
Other
bumps do not produce this sound.   Springs in good shape, new shocks and links
do not help.  Put the old guy on stands and played around with the back wheel,
and can hear the clunk when I turn the wheel back and forth, a clunk each way
when I change direction suddenly.  It comes from the transmission area or to
the
rear of that area.  I have not been underneath the car yet, but can feel no
vibration when on the road, no other noises such as described.   Ideas would be
greatly appreciated.  I do appreciate you guys and gals out there.

Mike Barron
70 TR6
60 TR3
Kansas City, MO.