Re: Roto-flex replacement

To: Chris Oliver <coliver@sprintmail.com>
Subject: Re: Roto-flex replacement
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 07:17:47 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I need help, I have a badly cracked roto flex joint, I checked the
>manual, and it looks above my level/tool capability.  Is it possible to
>change the joint without taking apart the whole rear end, or is there a
>short cut?  Thanks, Chris
Sorry Chris.  There is no shortcut that I know of.  The diff doesn't have
to come out of the car, but the uprights, hubs, and axle shaft(s) have to.
You will also have to disassemble the outer hub to remove the rotoflex
joint.  Unfortunately, this entails re-checking for the correct end-float
of the rear hub bearings.  It's a fairly "big", pain in the a** job, but
one, that in your case, must be done for a failed rotoflex joint can cause
major damage if it lets loose- and I might add, if your replacing one might
as well replace them both.  If one is going the other won't be far behind.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire