Re: Stuck Rear Axles - 1966 TR4A IRS

To: Tom Winslow <tom_winslow@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck Rear Axles - 1966 TR4A IRS
From: Dennis Kimberlin <dkimberl@ops.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:13:34 -0500
Tom,
Had a similar problem with my SPIT when I replaced the rear wheel
bearings, UJ's, etc.  Finally got smart (something about that I always
struggle with), went to a rental store and rented a HEAVY DUTY (a big
sucker!) hub puller.  That was the difference.  Steady, heavy pressure
with no excessive force (don't want to bend the hub) and it eventually
let loose.  Be sure you get one that will work with a square hub (if
yours is; the SPIT was).  Most American pullers are designed for the
round hub face, hence the triangle design.
If you use heat, be careful.  Lots to burn back there.  I didn't have
much success with heat, but, who knows...
Once you or your shop pulls the hub, be sure to put anti-seize on before
reassembly. You may have to go down that road again sometime...
Good luck.
Dennis
75 SPIT
Omaha, NE