Re: Replacement keys - TR6 PI

To: m_noerregaard@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Replacement keys - TR6 PI
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:25:51 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> My issue now is that the seller do not have the keys for the car -
>  steering wheel lock is enganged, but not a problem as such when moving
>  the car. Is it possible to get replacement keys for it, so I wont have
>  to bore out the existing steering wheel lock (it is the original lock on
>  the car)? Can I go through British Motor Heritage... and get keys from
>  there.
>
>  Any help is - as always - greatly appreciated.

Mike, here is the info you need.  The locks will have a number on them.  Get
the numbers.  Not certain but I think the TR6 original configuration was 2
keys.  One key was for the doors and ignition and the other was for the
trunk/glove box.  (I say "not certain" for the TR6 but that's the way it was
for the TR4/4A).   Once you have the numbers (you can also get the numbers
from the BMIHT - it is on their build certificate which I recommend you get
anyway) here are several folks who can cut keys for you.

1)  Check with Pete Groh (410 750-2352) who can cut keys from lock numbers.

2)  Motorhead, Ltd. in Fairfax, VA (800 527-3140) stocks a complete set of key
blanks for British cars.  A spare set of keys can save the cost of re-keying.
They cut keys from keys ($3 each).  They might be able to give you some help,
and the 800 number is free.

Cheers.

Art Kelly