Tire Concerns TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tire Concerns TR6
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:30:30 -0400
I noticed that when I run my hand over my front tires I can feel a slight
"cupping" effect on the outer edge of the tires (Avons).  I ran my hand over the
tread of both the front and back tires and the back tires don't have any cupping
and are smooth.  At this point it's a very slight affect but one that I'd like
to correct before it causes any more uneven tire wear.  I was told by a friend
that it is a sign that the front shocks might be worn.  I did the sophisticated
bounce test and got about 3-4 after letting loose of the front bumper.  The
tires have about 3000 miles on them.

I'm also getting a little tire scuff or tire squeal when I do a tight (steering
wheel at the left or right lock) turn.  I assume that's not normal.

1) Is the cupping and scuffing one problem or individual problems?

2) Is either problem a sign that I need an alignment (the car runs a straight
line and the front end was totally rebuilt recently...approx. 3500 miles ago)?

2) Does one always do a four wheel alignment on a TR6 or can you just do the
fronts separately?

4) I'm going to rotate the tires but would like to cure the cupping problem
first.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on possible causes and cures.

5) Also is there a right way to rotate the tires (four, since the spare is
different) front to back, or diagonally?

Thanks for the help.
Bud 71 TR6 CC57365