Re: Moss Motors Festival '98

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Moss Motors Festival '98
From: "Ross L. Kodner" <rkodner@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 22:40:25 -0500
At 09:14 PM 7/20/98 -0700, Chris Prugh wrote:

>The only thing was, since Moss sells Miata parts, around 200 of them also
showed up.  As far as I could tell...they were IDENTICAL.  (Okay, so I'm
not a big aficionado of the marque...I'm sure there were SOME differences)
By the end of the weekend, I found my attention actually drawn to go over
and look at this Bright Yellow Bumble Bee schemed one.

My brother recently bought a new Miata--one of the "old" style '97's--not
the new RX7-ized '99's. I'd driven one before but not extensively. Took it
through the Presidio's woods and twisties. What a fun car! I was actually
quite impressed as heretical as that is. I have to hand it to Mazda for the
understatement. The gearbox and shifter movements remind me of a Lotus
Europa I drove many moons ago. Perhaps it was just a matter of actually
driving a car that looked about the size of my Spitfire but with about
three times the horsepower and a better sounding exhaust note . . .  :-)

It clearly took guts for Mazda to so this and they really got it right--the
think is actually visually almost identical to a Lotus Elan I saw drive by
near the Golden Gate bridge (I presume this was the "model" for the Mazda
designers when they first penned the Miata in the late '80's).
Ross Kodner
'78 Spitfire 1500
'74 BMW 3.0CS (for sale-ask me!)
'97 BMW 528i (5-spd of course)