Road America - BRIC

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Road America - BRIC
From: "Ross L. Kodner" <rkodner@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 22:33:01 -0500
While I didn't have my Spit 1500 along, the track tour on Sunday at the
Brian Redman International Challenge (f/k/a Chicago Historic Races before
Merrill Lynch and Brian Redman dangled more sponsorship $$ methinks) at
Road America, my 528 did the trick. It is amazing how fast even 70 mile an
hour feels when you're on a narrow track with drivers of wildly varying
skills (i.e. there was a Camry driver puttering along--I refer to these as
"nun-mobiles" since it seems to be the preferred vehicle of women of the
cloth; and even a new Lincoln Towncar floating around) and familiarity with
the course. Not to mention when you see a Porsche 962 coming up REALLY
QUICKLY in your rear-view mirror (yep, it appears that they let the racers
on the track with us wannabes and they don't have to follow any of the same
rules like "no passing in corners" and "keep it under 70"). This was the
fifth time I've done this at RA--either at this event or the Spring VB
event or the Fall Vintage Festival--big fun. One of these times, I'll have
the courage to do it in my Spitfire, with all its wheezy little horses :-)

There were a number of Triumphs on the Sunday tour (they said it was the
biggest tour in event history with over 200 cars) - several TR6s, a TR250
and other Brits including a Lotus 11, all sorts of Jags from XJS's to
XKE's, a gorgeous XJRS (the owner said he found it at a used car lot in
mint condition and bought it for $12K--the dealer thought it was a plain
old XJS), a couple of big Healys, but not a Spit in sight.

Ross Kodner
'78 Spitfire 1500
'74 BMW 3.0CS (for sale-ask me!)
'97 BMW 528i (5-spd of course)