Re: Engine bay blues

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Engine bay blues
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 17:51:48 -0700
Cc: rjw@cyberbeat.com, "List, Tiumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
While I don't have an opinion as to the appropriateness of Styrene for the
job... I can share some knowlege about working with the material:

You can score lines in it with a razor-knife and straight edge... and it will
break at that line when bent... (practice with some waste)... this is cleaner
than a jigsaw... and very straight.

Such a cut can also be cleaned with a single-sided razor blade... by scraping
the cut edge...  keeping the blade perpendicular to the thin edge being
scraped... it will clean off any burrs, etc.

You can purchase WELD-ON #3 or #4 from a hardware/plumbing store... it's a
clear liquid glue...  best applied with a syringe-type bottle...   (found in
hobby stores)...   If you buy a pint of this material at the hardware store...
you'll pay less than the little bottle at hobby store!

This is the sort of glue that is also used to bond acrylic sheet... (to make
display boxes, etc.)

It simply melts the two faces together and then evaporates.  Very effective...
Example, you would hold a corner together, run the syringe-bottle along the
seam, squirting just a little into the joint... capillary action will carry it
through the whole mating surface... and it will be joined in seconds... though
you should continue to hold, when necessary, for the few minutes it will take
to cure strong enough to hold itself.  While a joint often remains the
weak-point of a bond... this stuff will weld the two together almost as if they
were one.

you can strengthen box constructions by cutting out small triangles... at using
the WELD-ON to put them in place...

If you don't have access to a band-saw... or a jig saw... or you grow tired of
the jigsaw cut getting fowled by melted styrene... you can also score curves,
and break those too... but it is tricky... and requires some skill/patience...
etc.

I have some good tricks for scoring circles, if you are interested.

You can also buy styrene in black...  if you go to a plastics supply...
something easy to find in aerospace-land-Burbank-California... but, perhaps, in
your areas, you may only find the white stuff at your local hobby stores, etc.
Look in the yellow pages or a Business-to-Business directory.

Anyways... I'd be happy to field any questions about the use of these
materials... I use them a lot to make props, etc.. for TV/film...  it is also
the same material that we most often use in the vacuum forming process.

--Justin