tr6 oil pressure gauge line

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr6 oil pressure gauge line
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:45:34 -0600
As some listers might recall, I'm planning the cleaning of my small gauges
(which requires the dash being lowered to "service" position). While in
there, of course I will do more than I originally started out to do :-)

One of the things I want to do is replace the oil pressure gauge line. On a
22 year old car I am paranoid the original nylon line is getting quite
brittle and if it should ever crack while driving, the outcome could be
devastating (from my perspective, probably pretty positive from the engine
shop's perspective!).

So the questions are:

Does anyone know why the carb TR6s had the male/male adapter on the block
for a female end on the line while the PI cars just had a male fitting on
the line go directly into the block? If I have a line made up I think I
might skip the adapter if I can get the proper fittings unless there is a
compelling reason the retain the adapter.

Has anyone made (or had made up) a line similar to the stainless/teflon
brake lines made by Goodridge (and probably others)? I installed the
Goodridge brake lines on my car and they are quite nice. I'd like to get a
similar line for my oil pressure gauge (yeah I know the pressures are
nowhere near the same). Any advice here would be most welcome.

Also has anyone obtained a replacement line from TRF or Moss? DO they seem
likely to last a while or are they cheapies made in Taiwan (no offense to
any Taiwanese listers)?

Thanks in advance!

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO  Calgary,Canada ---