Carb Assistance Wanted!

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Carb Assistance Wanted!
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:51:08 -0400
OK all you SU carb gurus, what suggestions do you have for me?

I cannot adjust the idle speed less than 800 rpm.  That's fine -- that's
where I want it.  The idle adjustment screws are backed out all the way.  I
can feel a little wobble in the shafts.  I will get the carbs rebushed and
I am planning to completely rebuild them this winter.  I imagine that there
is a little air leaking in.

That's the background, now here's my question:

Frequently, when I take my foot off the gas pedal, it hangs up at about
1100  -- 1200 rpm.  If I gun it, the idle speed will come back down.
Pressing down on each idle screw will bring it about half way back down.
(Pressing down on both brings it all the way down).  If I pull up on the
linkage (above the generator) that controls both shafts, it comes all the
way down.   The return springs seem OK.

I have lubricated every link, bearing, and bushing I could find, all the
way back to the gas pedal.  It still hangs up.  Any suggestions?  Could a
butterfly be hanging up?  I really don't want to tie up the car in a major
repair until winter.  I got it on the road too late this summer as it is.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Sumner Weisman
62 TR-3B