Re: Stuck Valves/Disasters

To: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>, "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Stuck Valves/Disasters
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:13:53 +0100
Hello All,

If we're talking about doing things wrongly, I have a couple of stories
which are really cringeworthy.

The first, which I offer as a kind of appetiser, is true. A motoring
journalist-former fellow freelance-was building a Cobra replica using, of
all things, a Datsun straight six motor. When piping up in the engine bay,
he connected a heater hose to the original location of an engine breather.
Water in the oil? Yes, any oily water coming out of every available orifice.
Tee hee.....

The second may be more legend than truth; I read it in a magazine.......

'Mechanic' changes the oil in as Aston Martin DBS. He does all the right
things-changes filter, remembers the sump plug and doesn't spill a drop.
Satisifed, he slams the huge, hand made alloy bonnet...straight down onto
the open, flip top oil filler cap. Result: negative clearance situation, big
hole in bonnet skin.
This had to be the most expensive oil change in history.

Cheers,

Dave Hill, UK.