Draining and refilling diff. on TR6.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Draining and refilling diff. on TR6.
From: johnw@wrq.com
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:48:27 -0700
     I had the rear end up on the jacks yesterday and decided it would be a
     good time to top the shocks, grease the U-joints, adjust the parking
     brake, and check the condition of the 4 diff. studs and chassis (I've
     been getting a squeaking from the rear end).

     Anyway, decided to drain the diff.--what do you know!, there's no
     drain plug! It came back to me that this is standard operating
     procedure on the TR6. What I did was set up a platic tube into the
     diff via it's fill hole, and use my old funnel to pour in 90w and top
     it off. It topped off fairly quickly, and as I watched the extra fluid
     drain out, I thought, why not just drop all of this Castrol 80/90 into
     the funnel, force the tube deep into the back end of the diff., and
     see if this technique will flow out the "old" fluid in favor of the
     new fluid. I figure at least 50% of the new fluid will remain in the
     diff.

     Has anyone tried this? Am I fooling myself that this might displace
     the old fluid in favor of the new?

     thanks much
     John
     johnw@wrq.com