Re: Draining and refilling diff. on TR6.

To: johnw@wrq.com
Subject: Re: Draining and refilling diff. on TR6.
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:17:50 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
johnw@wrq.com wrote:

[...]
>      Anyway, decided to drain the diff.--what do you know!, there's no
>      drain plug! It came back to me that this is standard operating
>      procedure on the TR6. What I did was set up a platic tube into the
>      diff via it's fill hole, and use my old funnel to pour in 90w and top
>      it off. It topped off fairly quickly, and as I watched the extra fluid
>      drain out, I thought, why not just drop all of this Castrol 80/90 into
>      the funnel, force the tube deep into the back end of the diff., and
>      see if this technique will flow out the "old" fluid in favor of the
>      new fluid. I figure at least 50% of the new fluid will remain in the
>      diff.
>
>      Has anyone tried this? Am I fooling myself that this might displace
>      the old fluid in favor of the new?

The stuff is pretty thick, so it doesn't seem like a very effective way
of doing it.

When I did my spit, I bought a plastic gear oil pump for about 6 bucks at the
local chain auto store. It comes with two surgical tube type hoses, and with
a bit of wiggleing, I got the inlet hose shoved near the bottom of the diff,
and used the pump to suck the old oil out. Doesn't get down to the last drop,
but probably a lot more than 50%.

good luck.

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com