TR6 Values (Don't let it happen to you!)

To: "\"'<triumphs@autox.team.net>'\" <"<triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Values (Don't let it happen to you!)
From: "Gauthier, Dave" <Dave.Gauthier@nike.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:09:28 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Thank you to those who responded to my plea for help!
Surprisingly, I have not heard word from anyone that has paid more than
$10k for a TR6! So, my request stands, please contact me if  you
purchased your TR6 for more than $10K. I would like to use  you as a
reference for my battle with the insurance company. I will keep your
info as confidential as you wish. Here's what I did find:
-5 people who have over $10k in restoration receipts
-Two people have their TR6s appraised and insured at a stated values of
approximately $12k
-One person who paid $10,500 for a TR4AIRS

This surprised me, since I see a lot of TR6s for $12k and up in
Hemmings. I did get some good advice to look in Triumph World News for
auctioned prices of TR6s (It can be ordered from EWA, 800-272-2670, $39
for 1 year/6 issues--thanks Brian Kemp!) . I've listed below my findings
from price guides. Enjoy or weep, depending on how much you've spent on
a TR6!
Price Guides
Kelley Blue Book Early Model Car Guide--71 TR6, excellent condition
$11,200 (Beautiful original, or excellent restoration, showing no wear.
Drives as new. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) approximately a
9).
Ultimate Collector Car Price Guide 1900-1990 (1998 edition). 71 TR6,
excellent condition $9900
1998-1999 Classic Car Buyer's Guide. 71 TR6, excellent condition $10,500
(Excellent general condition, i.e. no obvious areas where expenditure is
required. Concours, very low mileage and examples of special historic
interest will fetch more).

Magazines
The April '94 issue of  British Car includes a Triumph TR6 price guide:

CONDITION
Price
------------------------------------
-------
Restored - 100% as new, 95 points min concourse                 $12,000
Excellent - mostly restored or superb original
$9,000
Amateur partly restored, or very good original
$6,250
Good, complete, runs and drives well
$4,000
Fair, drivable, needs minor repairs, but complete               $2,300
Poor, not too incomplete, not badly rusted/damaged              $1,200
Poor, rough, incomplete, damaged, or badly rusted               $700

TheMay/June 93 issue of Grassroots Motorsports includes a Triumph Tr6
price guide:

Poor            $1000-2000
Fair            $2000-4000
Good            $4000-8000
Excellent       $8000-11000

Thanks again,

Dave Gauthier

Original---------

Hey folks,

I could sure use your help. I had a 71 BRG TR6 which, (after seven
years? ugh!) I finished restoring this year. I put it up for sale for a
firm $11,000, with plans to build another one. Despite driving it only
on sunny weekends, and The Club, someone stole it!

Yesterday, my insurance adjuster called and offered me a $1900
settlement. No joke.

Please reply to me (privately or to the list) if you spent more than
$10,000 on a TR6, so that I can show them that the fair market value of
a restored TR6 is not $1900. Your help could save me some attorney fees!

Thanks in advance,

Dave Gauthier

Any morals to my story?

1.      Insure your car on a stated value policy and you'll save
yourself a lot of trouble!
2.      The Club should not be your only theft deterrent.