HV Ignition coil orientation

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: HV Ignition coil orientation
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 16:21:50 EDT
The following is a email I recieved from a friend replacing his electronic
ignition with a Crane system.  Point of interest is the orientation of the
high voltage ignition coil, suggesting horizontal is not appropriate for oil
filled coils.

Any other opinions?

Clark
Well, I just got off the phone with Frank at the Crane Tech line.  It seems
I have the go ahead to use the HI-6500 with my current magnetic trigger -
simple plug and play.  HOWEVER...  He also stated that while I can use my
Lucas Sport Coil, I would not be getting the full potential because it is
internally resisted and the HI-6500 also has its own internal resistance.
Hence, double resistance and lower spark output (if I understood him
correctly).  But the real surprise was a remark he made in passing about
the mounting of their PS-20/40/60 oil-filled coils.  He said that an
oil-filled coil should *NEVER* be mounted horizontally.  The oil does not
cover up all of the windings causing temperature problems.  He also
speculated, after I mentioned your problem with the coil turning blue, that
you have it mounted horizontally in the original position and that the
blueing began at one corner (vice uniformly) as a result of the oil not
covering all of the windings.  He seemed very adamant about this and also
stated that oil-filled coils can leak, causing other damages.  So now that
I have my ignition problem almost solved - I'm concerned about coils.  Care
to comment?