Re: TR6 Horn Wiring

To: suhring@lancnews.infi.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Horn Wiring
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 17:49:22 EDT
Cc: suhring@CEBAF.GOV
Scott,

Send the .BMP file directly to me, and we'll get your horns fixed. The list
won't allow posting of attachments.

In the meantime, a couple of pointers. The large p/y wire runs from the relay
to the driver's side horn, and carries 12 volts when the horn relay is
operated. At the driver's horn, the large p/y wire connects to one terminal,
along with a smaller p/y wire. The smaller p/y wire then goes to the other
horn, and should also have 12 volts on it when the relay is operated. The
other terminal on each horn should go to ground.

Unless the horns have an internal ground to the case, it doesn't matter which
terminal is used for grouind and which is used for power. Check for continuity
to the case from each terminal - if there is no internal ground, then you will
get an open circuit on both terminals when you make this test. If one terminal
reads a short to the case, then that terminal should be the ground terminal,
and the other is for the power lead. You should get about 0.5 ohms between the
two terminals if the horns are good.

Since you are getting the horns to work, then you are getting the 12 volts on
the large p/y wire. Make sure you have good grounds on each horn, bypassing
the harness grounds if needed. If you have the horns connected as above, they
should both work, unless there is a short in the wiring somewhere between the
horns.

To check for this, remove the p/y wire from the horn relay, and check the ohms
reading to ground. If both horns are connected properly, you should get 0.25
ohms to ground. If only one is working/connected, you should get 0.5 ohms to
ground. If you get less than 0.25 ohms, you probably have a short. If so, from
your description, it will be in the smaller p/y wire. Just cut the smaller p/y
wire from the large p/y wire at the driver's horn and from the passenger horn,
and replace it with another wire.

I'll have more info for you after I see your .BMP.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74