TR6 Horn Wiring

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Horn Wiring
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 07:10:59 -0700
Cc: John_Krause@icpmech.navy.mil, suhring@CEBAF.GOV
I hope I haven't messed up the mail with an eventual
bomb.  I posted a message with a .BMP file attached
showing the wiring of my horns with some added text
explaining the workings and lack there of but it
has not shown up.  It is lurking out there and may
eventually show up.....

But in the meantime, I will try to explain my wiring
mystery and seek your advice.  First, let me thank
Brian Kemp who responded to my ground question.

I have new metal horns from Moss and decided to tackle
the job this weekend with a conviction to get them
working.  Here is what the end result was:

1. My '70 6 has a horn relay that is set up as seen
   in the '72 + models
2. The air horns the DPO installed work fine.
3. The only way I could get "a" horn to sound was with
   the following wiring;
        a. Large (12 G) P/Y wire attached to driver's side
           horn terminal (either side) and smaller P/Y wire
           and ground wire which runs to radiator bolt on other
           terminal. Of note this set-up could be switched from
           side to side as long as the large P/Y was by itself.
           This set up did not work if I used the harness ground.
        b. Passanger side horn had smaller P/Y wire and ground
           wire to one terminal.  It did not matter which terminal
           was hooked, as long as both wires were together. The
           harness ground worked here.
        c. This set up allowed the driver's side horn to sound
           but nothing from the passanger side.
        d. Changing ANY of this set up resulted in no sound.
        e. If I removed the large P/Y wire, relay clicked but
           no horn.
        f. If removed the smaller P/Y wire, nothing worked.
        g. Tested both horns on driver's side to be sure it wasn't
           a problem with the horn and they both worked fine.
        h. was only able to get the test light to show a closed
           circuit from the large P/Y wire but obviously the other
           wiring was required to make the one horn sound.
        i. The large P/Y wire runs from the relay but I couldn't track
           the smaller P/Y wire.
        j. Relay has P wire so always juiced.
        k. All other electricals off the harness in front of 6 work fine
           (i.e. issue with ground)

Hope this provides enough description to generate some thoughts.
I am determined to solve this dilemma and get back to the original
horns.

Again, I appologize to the list if my other post with the attachment
eventually shows up.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6