Re:Shifting Gear Lever

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:Shifting Gear Lever
From: "Robert Michalec" <rmichale@sifalb3.sif.state.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 10:05:21 EST
A while back, I asked for info about how to correct the shifting
leftward, toward the stearing wheel, of the gear lever on 75 TR6.
Several people responded with help regarding how to adjust, bolts
backing out, ect.  All good advise, but it didn't fix the problem.
Turns out, after disassembling and removal, that there was nothing
wrong with the adjustments and all pins and bolts were in place.  The
problem was that the lower portion of the lever, including the large
ball with locating grooves down to the smaller ball that contacts the
sellector rods, had rotated 90 degrees around the shaft of the gear
lever.  Not bad if you like the shifter knob jamming into your knee
in first gear, and third into the console.  I didn't, so I decided to
crank the thing back into proper alingment, but I am concerned that
it will just spin back again.

Except for driving the car, there is nothing I like better than
sitting it it with everything torn apart with black grease all over,
so.... Does anyone know why this thing would spin in the first place,
and is there a way to set it and prevent further spinning?

Robert Michalec

I don't suffer from stress. I'm a carrier.