Re: TR6 Ammeter vs. Voltmeter

To: dstauffa@csc.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Ammeter vs. Voltmeter
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 14:34:20 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-30 13:40:38 EDT, dstauffa@csc.com writes:

> My ammeter is broken and needs to be either repaired or replaced.  Before
>  doing either I want to seek advice from the list on whether or not I should
>  go for a voltmeter instead.  (Originality is not a concern)  And if so,
>  what if any modifications I would have to make to my wiring.

Dave,

If it were me, I would replace the ammeter. Since your car already has the
ammeter, the only objections I have with an ammeter would not be eliminated by
swapping for a voltmeter. These objections are: increased complexity of
wiring, and running large current capacity wiring into the cockpit. Unless you
want to completely redo your wiring, the additional complexity is not a
factor, and the high current wiring is still going to be there, even if you
swap for a voltmeter.

For about 6 months, I ran both a voltmeter and an ammeter, and I prefer the
information about the status of my charging system that is provided by the
ammeter over the voltmeter, although either one is perfectly adequate. If I
had room, I would still be running both (If I had room, my dash would look
like the cockpit of a 747).

If you wish to swap, it is a fairly simple task. First, remove the three wires
from the ammeter (brown and/or brown/white) and connect all three together
with a GOOD connector - These wires carry ALL the current for your car! Wire
the positive lead from the voltmeter to any convenient green wire, and the
negative lead to a good ground (if you are using a voltmeter from a later TR6,
the polarity of the leads is immaterial - it will work either way). Wire the
illumination lamp just as it was wired for the ammeter (chances are, you can
just remove the lamp and its holder from the ammeter and place it in the
voltmeter).

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74