Spit vs TR6 size

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit vs TR6 size
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:39:08 -0500
Listers,

Interior dimensions are almost identical is indeed corect!

Door pannel to door pannel they are identical!  That is, narrow.  Consider
until the mk iv spit, both small and large chassis cars used the same
windscreen!

Now, only by feel, I can say legroom is nearly identical but I prefer my
GT6.  Why?  Because where the floor meets the bulkhead the GT6 has that box
section that acts very conveniently as a footrest/deadpedal.  The TR6 had
no such "feature" and left my left leg looking for a home.  (the TR/5 had
the dimmer switch down there on a bracket which was similar but not as
comfortable to use).  There also seems to be more room to the left of the
clutch pedal on the spit/GTbut this may be due to  the side scuttle bowing
outwards where the big bit of your foot goes.  Thus, the measurements as
reported may not be greater but they are in practical use.

The seats of the GT/spit are narrower (slightly) and lower (more the issue)
but I think they are as comfortable.

IMHO, most of the 5" of wheelbase missing in the small chassis car is
behind the seats, thus, irrelevant to most of us.  I can pack more in my
GT6 than I ever could in my TR6 unless I used the luggage rack.  Spitfire
owners say similar things here.

The only thing about the spits are that they are "quite" gutless.  Not
slow, but they need to be wound up to make bhp, thus they seem "busy".
This, again, is a personal opinion based only on "facts".

A 6 cylinder spitfire (soon to be under construction) would be an ideal car
and one TR should have designed.  Only then they would have sold no TR6's!

Dave Terrick
Winnipeg
Dave Terrick
69 GT6+