Re: GT6 Rotoflex good or bad?

To: Mike Thompson <miket@urgrgcc.edu>
Subject: Re: GT6 Rotoflex good or bad?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 10:42:44 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Just a thought going on with all this GT6 talk. What is the general
>feeling on Rotoflex. My 73 GT6 does not have it. Was it considered a
>weakness or good for handling?
No, actually it was an improvement and made for a better handling car, with
a much improved ride.  the main reason for it's demise, as with many good
improvements was cost.  It was more expensive than the Swing spring that
replaced it and to "communize parts, reduce cost and inventory" it was
discontinued late into the MK3 model run.  Some will argue that the swing
spring was as good or at least equal to the more complex rotoflex system,
but after having both systems ON THE SAME CAR, I can say, at least for me,
that the ride is MUCH smoother, and handling, especially over rough
conditions is much improved and more controllable than the MK4 narrow swing
spring (originally fitted on my car), and the wider track swing spring
(first upgrade)- I made the switch to the rotoflex rear suspension the
third upgrade to the rear (but certainly not the last :-})

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire