Re: Parking lot crash

To: Aaron Johnson <sugar@holly.ColoState.EDU>
Subject: Re: Parking lot crash
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:50:05 -0400
Cc: Dana & Jane Du Fresne <pumacon@erols.com>, Triumph autox <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Aaron Johnson wrote:

> I would go with the body shop method to make sure it gets done right.  If
> you do get a fender from the big three it should be a perfect fit, since
> they are using the "original" sheet metal stamps.

  ...wish it were so, but unfortunately even the "factory" panels
are somewhat variable in how they fit. No insult to the
repro panel makers, just that the cars weren't made with
robot precision.

  This is a bit of a bad thing when trying to do a single
panel replacement, because it means that all adjustments
to fit have to be made in that panel. When doing a full
body restoration, you have the option to work all the
panels to get the best fit with the least reshaping.

  A good shop should be able to bang the dent out to where
very little filler would be required. Again, filler has a
bad reputation from hacks who put it on a quarter inch thick,
but when used properly it works very well.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/