Re: generator/alternator

To: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: generator/alternator
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 17:46:07 -0400
Message text written by jmwagner
>you to use the smaller modern type belt with a smaller pulley on the
generator....    hence less drag, and a faster running generator (red light
is
less likely to come on!)...
<
Oh, stupid me.  I missed the obvious and most likely correct alternative!
The regulator sends a variable current to the field windings!  Since I
doubt
that the reg. has a potentiometer, and I know it has a bunch of solenoids,
I bet that this is the essence of how it works.  I hope Dam Masters sees
this
message and chimes in.  Maybe you have experience with this....
There is a solenoid which pulls against a spring.  The tension of the
spring is set so that when the voltage to the solenoid exceeds a certain
point then the solenoid has sufficient pull to open a switch and cut off
the
current to the field windings.  The magnetic field of the field windings
drops
and then the power output of the generator drops which then
reduces the voltage to the solenoid and the field circuit is closed
which increases the generator output.

You'd think that the solenoid would be buzzing like a door chime, but
I bet that the generator windings act like an inductor and the field
resists collapse, so the voltage takes on a somewhat smoother
waveform.  I wonder how fast the regulator opens and closes?

I know that there are 2 or 3 solenoids in British regulators.  I wonder
what they are for.  One is for regulator, the other is for "cut-out".  I
do not know how those two functions are related.  Dan, are you out
there?

I am about to refer myself to the VTR web site.  If there is nothing
on the theory and repair of the voltage regulator, please
write a treatise for us, Dan!  Or, If I gain enough expertise, I will do
it myself!

-Tony