Re: Replacing TR3 Floors, Advice requested

To: <Gbouff@aol.com>, <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Replacing TR3 Floors, Advice requested
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 19:59:31 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Gbouff@aol.com <Gbouff@aol.com>
To: Triumphs@autox.team.net <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date: 30 September 1998 23:42
Subject: Replacing TR3 Floors, Advice requested

>I have finally finished most of the summer "honey do" projects.  Now I can
get
>back into my TR3 project.  The next phase is replacing the floors.
>I am planning on cutting out the old floors while leaving a lip to position
>and weld the new floor.  As far as welding, I saw another TR3 on which the
>owner drilled 3/8" holes every 1.5" on the floor flange and welded the hole
>edges to the body, much like spot welding.  It was done very neatly and
>appeared to be quite strong.  Has anyone ever done this, or is this
overkill?
>Any opinions or advice on the above is greatly appreciated.  Also please
>advise me of any pitfalls to avoid during this process.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Gary Bouffard
>TS 58399

Hi, Gary,

This is called plug welding, and I use it as the closest alternative to spot
welding. It has the advantage of not distorting the metal, as a seam weld
can.

If using mig, you need to up the wire feed and possibly the ampereage a
little or the welds won't penetrate. It helps to get the steel nice and
clean and, if you want to do a really good job, use 'weld through' seam
sealer first.

Dave Hill, UK.