Re: storing on jack stands or blocks-no no

To: "Don Spence" <spence@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: storing on jack stands or blocks-no no
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 20:03:12 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Spence <spence@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
To: triumphs@autox.team.net <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date: 01 October 1998 18:52

>Peter et all
>I guess I started this so here's the rationale.
>Based on real world experience with a TR3A WHICH SPENT ONE WINTER UP ON
>STANDS (MID OCT. TO LATE APRIL)
>It was found in the spring that the weight of the hanging suspension had
>stretched the coil springs such that the car rode noticeably higher than
>when it was put away. It took two full years for the springs to regain
>their original form. (thinking back, he may have replaced them ) Car
>belongs to a friend who has had it in the family since new (61) Has
>close to 300,000 on the clock(s?). Still uses it regularly.
>Cheerio
>Don

Hi, Don,

My Two pennyworth (UK version of two cents' worth) on this one is......

1. If the car has 300K miles on it, the springs are very likely to be new.

2. The springs will only go to the full travel of the dampers.

3. If it's a problem, put axle stands under the suspension so the tyres
aren't flat spotted but the springs are bearing weight.

Cheers,

Dave Hill