Re: GT6/Spitfire swap

To: Harris Goodkind <tr_250@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: GT6/Spitfire swap
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 22:34:53 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Harris Goodkind wrote:

> A Sixfire sounds like fun, and will keep me busy through the
> winter.
> Sooooo, I know the easiest way is to switch body tubs and use the GT6
> bonnet for engine clearance.

That's the bulk of it. There are some largely mandatory items, such as
fabricating the rear shock mounts, appropriating them from the 6+
wheelarches, or using the "adaptors" available from some English sources;
also utilizing the handbrake cable guides from the 6+ tub, which mount to
the body rather than to the chassis as on the Spitfire. Then there are
details "of preference" such as using the GT6+ doors with vent windows
(and reshaped door glass to fit the rounded top frame opening, using the
GT6+ dash with or without the fresh-air vents, etc., etc.

> Also, will TR250/6 intakes and headers fit the GT6+ head?

I'm not sure but what there might be some clearance problems with other
than GT6 bits here. Anyone?

> Anything else common to the GT6+ drivetrain from other models?

Not precisely, unless by other models you include the Vitesse 2L and
Mk.II (not normally available in the U.S.).

If this trend towards "Sixfires" continues, there will be exactly three
extant GT6+ Coupes left: mine, Chris Kantarjiev's and John Lye's! Oughta
do wonders for the value of our cars! :-)

--Andy