wheel paint colors

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: wheel paint colors
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 8:35:53 EDT

With several references to the silver color for TR wheels,
it's appropriate to repost something from 'way back in
'93 about these colors.  The Moss color has been mentioned
recently, as has a reference to the Ford alternative, but
I hadn't seen the exact colors.

> Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 08:16 EDT
>     Roger Garnett gave me these paint brands a while back:
>        DITZ        # DAR 2593
>        Duplicolor  # FM-149
>        Moss        # 220-560
>        Plasticote  # 1587 (may soften existing paint)
> I went to get the Duplicolor and the FM-149 only comes in 2 oz
> cans. However the same color is Duplicolor  # T229 at $5.13/can.
> This is the standard 8-10" high can.  I like the color and the
> Don Mathis

I've bought the Duplicolor at PEP Boys.

Any hints on the prep of a wire wheel for painting?  With
tire in place of course.  I've got some rust spots which will
probably respond best to a drill and wire brush, and there's
the nasty buildup of crud on the back/inside of the wheel (I'm
lucky if the outside gets washed/cleaned -- the inside has to
fend for itself!) which guilt would have me deal with during
a proper wheel painting session.  (Interesting: that area
doesn't seem to have any rust -- only the parts I keep clean!)

Thanks to those who have posted the "how to not paint your
tires" hints.

Cheers,
Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com