Spit rear trunnions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit rear trunnions
From: fred griffiths <griffco@cadvision.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 07:16:08 -0700
While rebuilding (I should say re-assembling) my 74 Spit 1500 rear
suspension after about 8 years delay, I find a lack of instructions in
the Haynes manual.
        I can't find reference to assembling the nylon bushes, steel
bush, and dust seals etc in the trunnion.  I see two exploded view
diagrams, but need to know:
        1. Do I lubricate (pack with grease or anything else) the nylon
bush and steel sleeve.
        2. Is the steel sleeve really half an inch (1/2") shorter than
the outer edges of the nylon bushes?  I would have expected it to be of
equal length.
        3. Do I lubricate the rubber seal between the two dust seal
plates ?

        Other than that, rhe rest is going well and I may even have
wheels on my chassis by the week end.
Cheers Fred
72 MkIV on the road
74 1500 on the mend