Storing on Jackstands Think About it

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "'Spitfire List'" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Storing on Jackstands Think About it
From: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 10:17:40 -0400
Comments: ( Received on motgate.mot.com from client mothost.mot.com, sender Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com )
Scions,
        I thought I might send in a little something to make you think about
whether or not to use Jack Stands. Personally I have no problem putting my
GT6 up on jackstands. This was the only way I could even get my head to fit
under it with such lower clearance. Now days I have a 4 post lift, for
storing the GT6 and Spitfire, and use the stands for a spider habitat. But
getting back to what I was going to tell everybody.

        There is a serious car collector in Austin that has some pretty hot
cars. Some hotter than others as you will see. His garage has 3 bays with 2
lifts stacking an assortment of Jaguars. If you go around the side of his
property and go though some French door you will see a rather large room in
his house filled with (real) old MG's, Porsches, Jags, a Ferrari and some
other stuff I forgot after looking at the F car. Now all of these cars  just
sit in there and get started occasionally.

        Here's the thinker now. An electrical fire started inside of one of
these sitting cars. It damaged several of the cars and some of  that part of
the house. Not too bad but just enough to cause some expensive repairs to
the tune of approx. 80K on a couple of the cars. Now with this many cars
(probably over 14) insurance was not on all of them is not feasible.

        Now get this! Of course as it always happens the damaged cars were
the ones not insured. The homeowners policy would not cover them, even
though they were inside, because they were sitting on their own tires. If
they had been on stands keeping the tires off the ground they would have
been covered by the homeowners policy. Cars fixed, house repaired, smiling
faces all around.

        So all of you with projects sitting in the garage or cars stored for
the winter (which I don't believe in but that's another rant I won't get
into) you might keep this in mind. Check with your insurance guy. This could
be helpful in case something unfortunate happens.

Keep the wheels turning,
Richard Ceraldi
Austin TX
71 GT6 MKIII