RE: Heat Shield

Subject: RE: Heat Shield
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 98 11:44:38 -0600
That's an easy question to answer. When you unwrap the header, it falls
apart. I've seen it happen more than once. In all cases, the owners did not
re-wrap their new headers. Remember that when you see racers use the stuff,
that doesn't mean it will work correctly for you. They often replace
everything every few races anyway. Their idea of longevity is for the
product to finish the race. Ours is usually a little longer.

Shawn
-------------
Original Text
From: "Jim Hill" <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>, on 10/1/98 4:09 PM:
Alan Myers wrote:

> In lieu of a heat shield, has anyone on the list tried the high
> temperature insulation wrap available for headers (and probably most
> standard manifolds)? . . . it is supposed to not only help keep the
> entire engine bay much cooler, but also accelerate exhaust gasses
> passing through the system

Ted Schumacher's right (DUH!):
> be careful of header wrap. on the dyno the header wrap has been
causing
> the exhaust to rust. you would be better off to either ceramic coat or
> just fabricate a heat shield.

The price of keeping the engine bay cooler by wrapping the exhaust
header is that all the exhaust heat stays inside, raising the
temperature of the header and hastening its eventual demise. Ask someone
what happens when you unwrap the header for inspection after a couple of
years.

Jim Hill