Re: Heat Shield

To: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: Re: Heat Shield
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 98 17:36:05 -0600
 Are you referring to a cast iron manifold? If so, why bother wrapping it.
It doesn't put out as much heat as headers do. Sure you wouldn't want to
touch either one after a few minutes of running, but the stock manifold
shouldn't boil gas or cause a heat soak problem with the starter. Which are
the best reasons for any type of heat shield anyway. The headers have
thinner walls and more surface area to radiate heat from. Hence the larger
amount of heat output from the "extractor" (header) system over the stock
manifold. If you are experiencing those problems with the stock manifold.
You have problems elsewhere that need to be examined. Those components are
designed to withstand the heat from a stock, properly tuned set up.

Shawn
-------------
Original Text
From: "jmwagner" <jmwagner@greenheart.com>, on 10/4/98 2:17 PM:
What I'm wondering is....   I  can fully understand why a typical thin
walled
steel header would simply fall apart in time with the wrapping....  BUT....
what about a stock cast header.... these things are thick!  If a stock
header
will only last half as long, if wrapped... who cares... what's 1/2 of
forever?     I'm just curious if anyone wrapped a stock cast header, and
found
problems later?   I've been tempted to do the wrapping...  it would seem to
me
to be a good thing...  considering the close proximity of the generator,
starter and intake manifold/carbs....

--Justin