Hoist Frame

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Hoist Frame
From: Kiitsg@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 14:23:50 EDT
Been a while sinc I built one of these, but here goes.

You need 5 4X4's eight feet long, and 3 2X4's eight feet long.  2 1/2"X8"
carriage bolts, nuts and 4 large washers.  10 3/8"X8 carriage bolts with nuts
and 16 large washers and 2 3/8X3" lag screws.

First cut one 4X4 to 5 feet long to carry the hoist.

Next you want to cut the 4 remaining 4X4's to set the carrying member on.  To
do this, cut a 45 degree notch in the end of each of the 4X4's and a
perpendicular cut to the 45 to half the depth of the 4X4

See the diagram

                                                                ________
                                                             /|             |\
                                                            / |             |  \
                                                          /   |             |
 \
                                                        /     |             |
   \
                                                     /      |-------------|
  \
                                                    /             /\
   \
                                      /              /   \              \

Counterbore the angular pieces so that the larger washer fits, and insert the
1/2 carriage bolts with a washer on the outside of both angular pieces, and
add the nut.  Tighten (no torque spec here)  Make sure that the top 4X4 does
not have any cracks in it, or it will weaken the structure.

When the 4X4 frame is complete, use the 2X4's to stiffen the A Frame.  Put one
across the angled 4X4's, half way down the A from the top, and the other 1/4
of the way down, and bolt with the 3/8 carriage bolts using washers and nuts.

The ends should look like this:

                                                                        /\
                                                                     /   \
                                                                    /___\
                                                                   /        \
                                                  /          \
                                                                 /_______\
                                                                /
\
                                                             /                 \
                                                            /
\
                                                           /
 \

Repeat for both ends.

Now use the remaining 2X4 to gusset the frame in the other direction, using
the remaining carriage bolts and lag screws to secure it.  The other elevation
will look like this:

                        |-----/--------------\------|
                  |    /                \     |
                      |   /                   \   |

The gussets should be at 45 degrees, and attach to the cross member half way
down the side of the A frame.

Good luck.
Kurt