RE: Winter... (et al.)

To: Frank Crowe <thecrowes@hotmail.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Winter... (et al.)
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 98 12:23:31 -0600
Frank and all following this thread,
        Where I live, the "low-lands" are above 4,500 feet. Frequently, my
trips into the mountain roads of Colorado take me to altitudes in excess of
8,000 feet. I have never had a problem of any sort. There is a slight drop
in power at the excessive altitudes. The road I spoke of earlier (Trail
Ridge) is the highest continuos paved road in America. The road up to Mount
Evans (also in Colorado), is the highest paved road in America, 14,000+
feet. It ends near the summit so it is not considered a continuos road. I
have been in both of these roads. No problems on either. The Rocky Mountain
Triumph Club regularly drives the Mount Evans road. One trip they were
lucky enough to see an MGF and a new Rover sedan at the summit parking lot.
Both cars were aver here for extreme weather/altitude testing. I believe
that trip was also blessed with some snowfall. Like Trail Ridge, that road
is also closed in the winter months.Colorado is also blessed with over 300
days of sunshine annually. This translates into beautiful driving weather
all through the winter months. On the Front Range ( generally Fort Collins
to Pueblo) The snowfall melts pretty quickly when the sun hits it. Our
long-term snow being on the north sides of the buildings (where the sun
doesn't shine, I know it brings on a whole new meaning). Enough rambling
for now. I want to go drive these roads now instead of talking about them.
Catch you all on the flip side.

Shawn
-------------
Original Text
From: "Frank Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>, on 9/30/98 7:46 PM:
> Shawn said: "The high point of the road is 12,183 feet."
> Peter Zaborski said: "How do the non-computerized cars deal with that
elevation?"

I just went over that pass a few weeks ago on a trip 'cross country, but
was driving an injected Volvo (those injection systems amaze me at how
well they work at any altitude or temperature.)

As I was climbing toward the top, I was also thinking how my TR3 would
be doing at over 12K'.  Shawn, please discribe how LBC's do where a good
portion of the earths atmosphere is below you!

Frank Crowe (at nice warm sea level)
'59 TR3

¤