Re: tr4a

To: dac@hawaii.rr.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tr4a
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 07:57:04 -0400
Darrell,

Buy the car and do the work yourself.  The early TR engine is easy to rebuild.
Get yourself a Bentley manual and follow the instructions.  As other listers
have noticed, $2200 is expensivce for an engine rebuild.  That comes down to
roughly 54 hours of labor just to replace a shaft.  I'd say that should no more
than 20 hours (or at least that's what it would take me worse case working by
myself in my garage), which at $40/hour would be $800 total.  Now the "voice of
wisdom" comes in.  If you have the engine that far apart, you might as well
examine the whole thing , renew, clean, and put it back together.  Add another
10 - 20 hours depending on your engine's condition and your experience.

Been there, done that too many times to remember.

Bruce Clough
just CT2966L at the moment...