Gearbox Lubes

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Gearbox Lubes
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 19:07:57 -0700 (PDT)
OK gang, here's a recurring question that isn't found on the FAQ...

Is there anything against using GL5 in my gearbox and transmission?  I
have 5 quarts of the stuff and 5 of the 6 cars currently in our stable are
automatics.  Should I mothball it (again!) and try to find GL4 for the
TR4, or can I use it with impunity?

I'd like to change the fluids in both gear-things, as it's probably been
in there for many years and may not be up to scratch.

I also notice that the gearbox is getting a bit hard to shift- altho the
clutch seems to be OK on startup... I'm thinking I need to do some
"routine maintenance" to the shifter- anything I should know?

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm