Re: Gearbox Lubes

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Gearbox Lubes
From: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 22:02:15 -0700
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Malcolm,
    I feel able to answer this, as my girlfriend (wife as of October 17th!) is
a professional development chemist, working for a major lubricant manufacturer
(though she does not work in their automotive section).
    API GL5 spec includes as part of the specification additives which attack
the yellow metal components (eg., thrust washers). If I remember correctly,
these are sulphur based compounds. They are not present in API GL4 spec.
    Incidentally, I once stripped down a gearbox from a 948 Herald which had
all yellow metal components badly damaged, the surface breaking away badly. I
assume the wrong oil had been used for some time......
    Regards,
        Bill.

--
                            This Message sent by: