A & J Sumps

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: A & J Sumps
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 15:50:49 EDT
Hello chaps,

Just when you think that you've figured everything out something else comes
up.  When I had my TR6 gearbox and overdrive out of the car last month to
replace the clutch, I drained and replaced the gearbox oil, assuming that it
included the overdrive fluid.  When I buttoned everything back up, I added the
quantity that my Haynes manual specified for the gearbox AND overdrive, and
figured everything was okay.  Last night I was reading through the TR6 book by
William Kimberly and it mentioned that the A type overdrive shared the oil
with the gearbox, but the J type (which I have) does not.

I'm assuming that my gearbox has a little too much oil in it now and that I'd
better drain some of it, and check my overdrive fluid level.

Can someone with a little overdrive experience explain the difference between
the two overdrive sump designs to me??  My Haynes manual is pretty vague in
this area.

Thanks,

Scott Helms
Looking for a used Bentley manual