Re: TR6 Clutch Question

To: bzw8@cdc.gov
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch Question
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 18:42:22 EDT
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< Hi all,

 Just completely restored the clutch mechanics in my '71 TR6 and have a quick
 question.
 With the clutch arm un-attached to the slave cylinder there is a good bit of
 travel of the bearing assembly moving on the transmission shaft.  Is this
 normal?
 Also, is it normal (when the clutch arm is attached to the slave cylinder)
 for there to be no travel (indicating the release bearing is contacting the
 pressure plate springs)???
 Any expertise would be greatly appreciated.
 Jeff
 Atlanta-'71 TR6

Jeff,

I'm no expert here, but as far as the cross shaft goes, there shouldn't be any
slop between the shaft and bushings.  When I rebuilt my clutch recently, I
replaced the cross shaft bushings with two on each side giving better load
distribution since only one tends to wear sooner than it should.

As far as moving the lever on the end of the cross shaft goes, you should be
able to rotate it back and forth causing the carrier sleeve to slide back and
forth on the shaft.
But then again, I may not fully understand your question.

Scott Helms