Re: TR6--Lucas Sports Coil

To: canada@voyageronline.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Rengrave@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6--Lucas Sports Coil
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 21:19:39 EDT
In a message dated 98-10-06 07:34:48 EDT, canada@voyageronline.net writes:

> I'm thinking of installing a Lucas Sports Coil in my 76 TR6.  I've been
>  advised that I need to terminate (tape) the leads of the 2 wires attached
>  to my old coil and run a new white wire to the Sports coil from the fuse
>  box.  Since I try not to do anything on this car without multiple
>  opinions, I'd like to know if this all sounds like the right way to do

Ian,

You are correct in that the ballast resister needs to be bypassed. You can
remove and terminate the wires that are on you existing coil, but it is not
necessary. I recomend that you leave them there, as there is much less danger
of them coming loose and shorting against something.

There are two easy ways to bypass the resister. The first is to connect the
coil to the white wires at the fuse box with a new piece of wire, as was
suggested to you. Be sure to route the wire very carefully, following the
routing of the existing harness as much as possible, and use plenty of tie
wraps for support.

Another way may be possible, even easier than the first. If you have a starter
relay, which most '76 models do, you will find a white/yellow wire attached to
the relay. This is the other end of the white/yellow wire you have at the
coil. Just pull this wire from the relay and terminate it on one of the spare
lugs at the white wires on the fuse box. If you don't have a spare terminal,
redo one of the white wire connections to include the white/yellow wire.

When you start the car, the starter relay energizes the white/yellow wire,
bypassing the ballast resister. What you are doing by re-locating the W/Y wire
to the fuse box is just permanently bypassing the ballast resister.

For more info on this, see:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/ballast.html

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN