Re: A Moss is a Moss(UK) is a Moss...

To: Brian Ricker <brianr@mvp.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: A Moss is a Moss(UK) is a Moss...
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 16:34:19 EST5EDT
Well I don't want to repeat any of the 'rumors' about TRF I heard over the
summer so I
won't. And I definitely don't think their situation is "grave" by any
stretch... I'm not
in a position to know...

...but I think they've lost a bit of their focus over the last 8 years I've
been a
hard-core TRF customer... and I know it's a VERY competitive business.....

I remember when TRF was a Triumph only company.... and they certainly do
Triumphs
(especially the TR250&6) as well as anybody. When it really matters, TRF will
always be
my first choice for originality. When I need a part to get my car back on the
road, I'll
buy from whoever's got what I need.

I will say that it doesn't look good when their major competitor (Moss) opens
up
an east coast warehouse to better serve their customers and TRF opens up a
restaurant to
better serve...who? Howz about a comprehensive TR4-4A catalog? Ever try to find
anything
(out of the ordinary) from them for an early Spit? I do text searches on the
txt file of
the price list.....

As to performance parts, there's a few folks who do it better then either TRF
or Moss...

I have no connection to TRF other than being a long-time customer who also
needs them to
stay in business.....

> From:          Brian Ricker <brianr@mvp.net>
> Subject:       Re: A Moss is a Moss(UK) is a Moss...
> To:            Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu
> Date:          Wed, 7 Oct 1998 15:21:05 -0500 (CDT)

> > I'm happy Moss is consentrating on original parts-- someone should... I'm a
>bit worried
> > about TRF, although I continue to have good luck with them...
> >
> > P.S. it's not that there's anything wrong with the stuff from TRF (although
>Moss'
> > TR2-4A catalogs are much better, at least until their big cat comes out)
>TRF continues to
> > be my first chioce for original parts, I'm just worried about their
>survival...
>
> I'm curious about this. Is TRF in jeopardy? I have tried to spread my
> parts buying amongst the big 3 (although for my engine rebuild I
> may get some of it from BPNW and Triumphs only). I would hate to
> see us lose a source of parts that has speciallized on our marque
> of choice especially given the work they have done for the six
> cylinder cars (esp the parts catalogs).
>
> I might rearrange my buying priorities to favor them if things are
> grave.
>
> Brian Ricker
> 71 TR6 CC56818L

Christopher M.Lillja