re: American vs Japanese vs British (was True of False)

To: British cars owner digest <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>, Smith@yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU, Brian <brian_s@deq.state.la.us>, triumph owners digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: re: American vs Japanese vs British (was True of False)
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 98 15:34:23 -0600
No flames from me Brian, I happen to agree with your statement. In fact
both of my LBC's are very reliable. They weren't when I got them, but they
are now. Even if one of them is a Ford (1967 Ford Cortina 1600GT), it is
still an LBC. My other vehicle ('87 Ford Bronco II) has been relegated to
hauling stuff the others won't, busting snowdrifts and when I have to fight
with other SUV's on the Interstate.

Shawn
-------------
Original Text
From: "Smith, Brian" <brian_s@deq.state.la.us>, on 10/8/98 1:25 PM:
I know I shouldn't weigh in here but here goes...

Japanese cars are appliances, just like your toaster of microwave, you
expect it to work every time you throw a frozen bagel at it or every time
you stick your key in it.

American cars are becoming more appliance like evry year,  But I've NEVER
bought the argument that the quality stunk.  I've had every one of my
American cars last at least 200,000 miles.  And these cars were all from
the
mid to late 70's era (allegedly the bottom od US quality). Now did they
look
great,  Naw but they all ran and got me where I was going.

British cars are more akin to a rolling anacronism, a constant reminder of
the way thing were.  They are simple (even a 1980 TR7 is simple compared to
a Toyota of the same vintage), and if well cared for, can be resonably
reliable.  The problem was that we tried to drive them like "Gas and Oil"
American cars..ie without the maintainace they require.  I recall reading
in
Road and Trake magazine that a person could buy a new E-Type for just a
little more than a loaded Chevy caprice  however the jag require more
maintainance and at a higher price so most fell into disrepair...or were
take to unknowlegeable local machanics that monkeyed them up.

Now give me a second to don my nomex....

Brian H. Smith
1959 TR3
1972 Spitfire IV
1977 TR7