Re: wierd miss

To: paradise@icx.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: wierd miss
From: triumph@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 98 09:32:12 PDT
Bryan Loy wrote:

> I have a wierd miss in my TR6.  Under hard acceleration, it goes like stink,
> but at idle it is only hitting on 5 cyl.,

IMHO, it is unlikely to be the coil.

Number #1 culprit sounds like a vacuum leak.  Check all your hoses and
manifold for leaks.  A leak may cause the mixture to sporadically run
lean, and the engine will stumble.  Wipe soapy water around the manifold
and joints to check for leaks; if the idle smooths out, you found the leak.

If you have no oil in the dashpots or a torn diaphragm, that may
cause stumbling at idle, especially if you have a vacuum leak.

Less likley to occur at idle (rather than higer revs) are the following:
If the spark plug leads are getting old (more than 5 years), replace them.
New spark plugs every 12 months is a wise investment.  Ditto points,
condensor and distributor cap.

Thats all I can think of: Good luck!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego